The Monday meeting was pretty standard except for two conversations. First of all, as I mentioned in my previous post, my boss wanted me to go into the office to pull something out of a box. I pulled it out and had it ready to copy. However, it consisted of a great deal of copying and the last time I did something of a similar nature it sat on my desk for three weeks. This may be my biggest pet peeve relating to work. I HATE to do work that is unnecessary and wastes my time. I do realize that they pay for my time so in some ways it shouldn't matter if what they had me do with that time was a waste...but still...it bugs me!
For something that he needed "ASAP" and was desperate for, he didn't even bring it up. I thought about not bringing it up myself, but realized that it could come back to haunt me if he suddenly remembered and I had to make a trip back into the office. So, before proceeding with the large copying project I asked him why they needed this particular information (as it was from 2006) and for more details on what it was for. To which he tells me he doesn't actually need it at all, and oh by the way, he had the year wrong.
I kept my cool but still found a way to vocalize what I thought of the situation. I asked him how we could be more efficient in the future with these type of requests; to know when they are actually needed "ASAP" and what specifically is needed. I mentioned that had I had a vehicle I would have driven into the office on Friday and made a bunch of copies which would have been a waste of my time, not to mention paper and toner. He proceeded to explain that the bank had requested it and he tends to panic, wants to give them whatever they ask for immediately and is willing to jump through hoops to get things done. I pointed out that it was in fact, me, who had to do the hoop jumping. I have hopes that the conversation laid the groundwork for future requests to be a little more thought out.
The second conversation had me really freaking out for a moment. We talked briefly about my plans for next month; the time I will take off and what things we need to do beforehand (such as paying all of March's bills in advance) to make things run smoothly. Well, my boss mentioned that eventually he wants me back in the office. He started talking about how there would be a nursery in the conference room and the other boss is saying that their mother could keep the baby. (The office is right next door to there parent's house.)
I handled it fine, although inside I was panicking. I haven't even had the baby yet and they are talking about me taking him to work. I think they are clueless. Do they really not think about how it will be to have a baby there...every time he cries, needs to be fed, changed, held, etc. Do they really think that he will just sleep the whole time so I can work?
And the comment about their mom watching him. I like their mom; she is awesome and I would have no problem with her occasionally keeping him. However, their dad is in very poor health, they are an older couple and the last thing they need is to have a baby around. The bigger problem is that they are being volunteered to babysit and I am being told where my baby will go. I know that my first response of panic is mainly because I see them wanting everything back to the way it was...me working full time in the office. Just with a baby tagging along...who will of course sleep the entire time and never need to pull me away from work.
After more talking I recognized that they just want me there a little more frequently. Not for any particular reason, just as a security blanket, just in case they need something. They don't seem to realize that it really doesn't work to have me there on a designated day unless there is a designated lists of things for me to do while I am there. I can't actually do that much while I am in the office because everything I work on is at my house.
So, after having my panic moment and talking it through with Baddaddy I realize that it will probably just take care of itself. I may end up spending one or two more mornings in the office, either with Baddaddy keeping the baby, having a small nursery at the office (which they will need to provide) or having their mom keep him for a few hours. And although I think it is unnecessary and inefficient it is really not much to ask when the rest of the time I can work from home. I also think that the first few times that the baby doesn't "cooperate" they will realize it is more of a hassle to have me there than it is worth. My final thought is that I am not without negotiating power. They really do not want to lose me and will compromise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
New subject. (Thank Heavens.)
I met with the young woman and her planning for New Beginnings is coming along nicely. She made cute invitations which she will be delivering along with an assignment for each girl and leader. She knows what she will be doing for decorations and handouts and has a very cute (very ambitious) idea for a cake she wants to make to go along with her theme. I will keep checking on her but I think she will pull it off just fine.

3 comments:
What a Monday! I have too many thoughts to just 'comment' so I'll have to talk to you later.
I'm so glad that your YW is pulling together New Beginnings and you just get to advise and not plan the whole thing. It sound like she is doing a good job.
I had the same thought as Kimber: I had a million things to say after that, but where do I even begin!!?
I just really do hope things will work out in the long run. Once baby arrives and you get into 'your groove' it will be easier to work things out, and you'll know what you're capable of, so to speak. And you may be surprised that you'll be capable of a lot more than you'd think! ;)
Good luck with it all.
I'm glad things are working out with the New Beginnings. Hope it will turn out nicely. :)
Can't wait to see you Saturday!
As far as your work goes, I think Baddady is right-it will all work itself out. Life has a way of doing that and obviously your bosses think you are crucial, so they will make it work.
The invitations are very cute. Hope it all goes well.
Post a Comment