Monday, October 20, 2008

A Story of Wind & Peanut Brittle

One of my favorite books when I was young was Stand in the Wind by Jean Little. It is the story of two very different young girls who are stuck together for the summer. The adventurous tom-boy Martha is upset to be stuck with the mousy afraid-of-everything Kit. As Martha drags Kit on adventure after adventure she helps her conquer her fears and stand up for herself.

During a wild wind storm Martha drags Kit outside to face the wind, peanut brittle in hand, and tells her, "You'll never love it if you let it shove you around." As Kit faces the wind, singing and eating peanut brittle she gains confidence and realized that she isn't really afraid.

I have always loved the wind. I love storms, the lighting, thunder, but most of all, the wind. I also love peanut brittle. But I loved this story for its lessons on fear and friendship. I don't remember when I told James about this story; he has know for a long time that I love to stand in the wind and whenever there is wind there is talk of peanut brittle. He found the picture of the little girl in the wind and I loved it. And right now, I need the reminder that I will never love life if I let it shove me around.

3 comments:

mom said...

I remember that this has always been one of your favorite sayings. I thought the picture was so appropriate when you put it on your blog. Good job James for finding it.

Kate said...

It sounds like a fun book. Maybe I'll check it out.

~*Autumn*~ said...

It makes me happy when I hear about other people's moments with their favorite books. I am glad you shared it. Thanks, and I love the song in the Sound of Music during the lightening storm where all the kids end up joining her in bed. :)

Background

Blog Archive

Labels

About Me

My photo
I love being a stay-at-home Mom. I have an amazing husband and an adorable little boy.