Sunday, August 10, 2008

Thank You Food Network.

James and I watched the show "The Next Food Network Star." It was fun to watch (especially with James.) After having watched who won, we were excited to watch his show: Big Daddy's House. The first thing I noticed was his spice drawer. Now he has a gorgeous kitchen with much more cabinetry and room than mine...but I really liked the idea so I re-organized my kitchen.

I have already made three of the recipes from his first show. First is the Big Daddy Seasoning, spices that smell so good and can be used on just about anything you want:

Big Daddy Seasoning:
1/2 cup smokey paprika
1/4 cup granulated onion powder
1/4 cup granulated garlic powder
3 tablespoons seasoned salt
1/4 cup fresh cracked pepper
1/2 cup kosher salt

(The large container in the drawer is his rub. I halved the recipe.)

For dinner I made his Chicken Tenders and Oven-Baked Seasoned Fries.

The first time I make anything is a trial run and things don't go quite like I had hoped. But it was a good meal and something I will make again. The fresh Rosemary and Thyme smelled so good and the fries were awesome. I would do a few things differently with the chicken tenders including dipping them in his rub before the chips.

The Food Network site is great! I am finding recipes that I want to try and can save them in a recipe box online. And I love being able to watch someone make something and then find the recipe and make it myself. I actually watched a few bits of the show again as I was cooking to see exactly how and what he did.

I am even beginning to like Alton Brown. I didn't at first, but he actually gives really great information and is just dorky enough to pull everything off enjoyably.

4 comments:

Dragon Pearl said...

See I knew you would come to the dark side of the Food Network (watching Alton Brown) :P

Thanks for the giggles and laughs :)

Kate said...

I really like the idea of putting the spices in a drawer. I am always digging around in the cupboard for the right spice.

Unfortunately, I also have boys that would love the idea of having a bunch of spices in drawers, so I guess I'll just stick to the cupboard. :)

Kimber said...

You just keep on trying those recipes and let me know which ones work out :D The spice drawer looks great.

We are totally addicted to the food network. That and Disney are the only things that we dvr.

Cami Sue said...

We turned off cable and I actually miss the food network the most. Dragon would watch it all the time. I'm glad you are benefiting from it because we never really did.

I also appreciate the recipes you posted. I was looking for a good recipe for oven baked fries the other day and then the potatoes were bad so didn't actually try anything. I'm glad I have a recipe for them now.

I'm also excited to try the spice mixture. Dragon really likes things spiced well and I don't have a clue how to do it.

And as Dragon said above....welcome to the dark side of food network. I really like Alton and wish we still had cable to watch him. He is pretty dorky though.

Background

Blog Archive

Labels

About Me

My photo
I love being a stay-at-home Mom. I have an amazing husband and an adorable little boy.