Sunday was my first week teaching the Sunbeams. (Although this is my second time as a Sunbeam teacher.) Sadly I have to admit that after only one week I was tired of it. I only have two kids but I came home feeling exhausted and that I had just spent 2 hours being a glorified babysitter.
However, with that bad attitude out of the way; I know there are several reasons it was not a good experience and several ways that I can make it better. The biggest problem was that our Saturday get-to-know-your-class activity was canceled so I didn't meet the kids until they walked into primary. Now I have some ideas about their personalities and ways to teach and involve them. Also, one of the mothers just got in the way. The little boy was really hesitant and wouldn't sit down but was warming to me. Another 30 seconds and he would have been sitting down with me enjoying primary. But his mom came in to sit with him and immediately he started whining and trying to climb into her lap. Then she had to walk him to class. I really think it was more her that was the problem than him.
And a very simple way to eliminate frustration is to only have the number of chairs that you need for the kids; otherwise they sit on the farthest chair away from you. And finally, one of my one silly quirks is that don't like being in the front row. I don't like everyone being behind me and because they have the kids on little chairs and the teachers on big chairs I just feel like a big giant in the front of class with everyone critiquing how I am handling the kids. Of course I realize they are all probably too busy trying to handle their own class, but I still don't like being in the front row.
So, now that all of the rambling is out of the way...I have added to my prayers the desire to love and teach the children and to be able to have a positive and uplifting experience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Background
Blog Archive
Labels
- Shots (8)
About Me
- Kara
- I love being a stay-at-home Mom. I have an amazing husband and an adorable little boy.
6 comments:
Glorified babysitting isn't all that bad...however I can make my "kids" dig trenches and fill sand bags if they whine at me. Your class will probably require a little more...tact.
I think you will do great and as far as giants go...you are the tiniest of the bunch!
I know that it's a trying calling, but I know you will do great at it.
Korben just went into Sunbeams and his teacher has a wonderful attitude about working with him. I know it's kind of annoying to have the parent in there, but I know what it is like to worry about your child being the problem kid...it's hard to let go and put the burden on someone else. Hopefully she will see that you have a good attitude too and let him go. Good Luck!
It is indeed "Glorified". I think Heavenly Father has a special reward for those who lovingly teach and train the sunbeams with all of their energetic passion for life.
You will be blessed!
I remember how hard it was to try and teach Sunbeams but that as the time went on they taught me so much. They mostly need to be taught that you love them. The rest will come.
My first thought was to talk to the mother. In our nursery they have blocked the window and left a peephole where the parents can look but the kids can't see their parents. It works wonders for the leaders trying to keep the kids' attention. I don't suppose you have a window on your door do you?
Not being a mother myself I don't understand wanting to sit with them the entire time but I'm sure if you talk to the mother and explain your situation and give the little guy a chance she might feel more willing to let him go if she knows you are willing to try it without her.
All I can say is, good luck. :-) I, myself, spend 2 hours of church every week in nursery, whether I like it or not.
I'm sure you'll be great!
Post a Comment