Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Tradeoffs

This seems to be the theme of my life right now.
(Warning: Female issues following.)

First the wrist/breast tradeoff. My wrists are doing fabulously. No more pain, no more braces; and the trade off...no more milk. I have continued to pump regularly and have popped Fenugreek until I smell like maple syrup. But alas, I am still not seeing much milk production. We went through the milk I had frozen so quickly. And then on to the formula. We have been giving him the samples sent to us and they seem so frothy and foamy and he spits up often. We picked up some Good Start and I am liking that better.

I have had many emotional moments; whining that it is not fair, anger that I didn't choose this, full on crying sessions that I just want things to go my way. Now I am pretty much resigned. Nothing I can do about it. I can see the benefits that will come from no longer pumping: the reduction in breast size will be a relief, not pumping and washing the equipment will free up time and space for other things. But I wanted to do it. I would have done it. But as the choice has been taken away from me I will dwell on the positives and Max will be fine with formula.

Second. The IUC/Bleeding tradeoff. Okay, so the IUC will insure that I don't t get pregnant. Big plus in my book right now. But I am bleeding almost as much as I was after coming home from the hospital. The resulting lack of sex is also a good way to not get pregnant.

I felt like once my tailbone (which is also doing much better) and wrists were healed I would be doing great physically. Unfortunately that was not the case. I am working on getting the bleeding under control with Wombstring & Cayenne. And if that doesn't work I will be going back to the midwife. As for the milk, well I am pretty much resigned; its just that final moment of actually stopping that I am finding difficult to do. Not really a problem except emotionally. I guess each time I keep hoping that all of a sudden I will have milk galore. And each time I am disappointed.

2 comments:

mom said...

Sometimes life just isn't fair is it. What we want that is a good thing just doesn't happen but life continues on and more good things come along. I'm sorry that you weren't one of the ones that got the overabundant milk supply gene. Having lots of milk does not a good mommy make but loving Max does. Do you want the coupons back :)

Kate said...

Kara- Having just gone through the stress of having a baby that couldn't nurse, I understand your feelings. Although I did have milk, I had to choose what was best for us and giving up on pumping was VERY hard to do(I tried two different times before I could finaly do it). I feel for you, but I can also say that Logan is doing great - once I eliminated the stress of feeling like a horrible parent, we started doing a lot better...and look how good he is doing now!

As far as the IUD is concerned, I had the same problems with mine this last time. I bled for 4 1/2 months before I went to the doctor (stupid). He gave me a tiny dose of estrogen...you know what this is a long explanation that will be better over the phone, so I'll call you. :) I am not bleeding anymore, so that should give you hope.

Anyway, this is a long reply, but I just want you to know that you are not alone, that I understand how you are feeling, and that it DOES GET BETTER! I promise! :)

Background

Blog Archive

Labels

About Me

My photo
I love being a stay-at-home Mom. I have an amazing husband and an adorable little boy.