Saturday, January 30, 2016

January: Snow, Science Fair, STEM and Swift

Max's Science Fair Project
Car Friction
First Max and I scoured the internet and found several projects that he was interested in and narrowed it down to this one. Next we set up four "race tracks" of concrete, sand, gravel and snow and timed the vehicle finishing each track. Then he typed (with a lot of instruction and spelling help from me) all of the sections for his Tri-Board. He wrote in all the times and the results and ended with his conclusion. I was thinking that I should teach him that his conclusion needed to be more scientific but it was so cute and he was so excited about it. His conclusion was the simple statement, "I had a correct hypothesis."

I wish I could say that we had a ton of fun doing this but the science projects have never been my favorite part of schooling and I always have to gear myself up just to get it done. At this age it is still so much on me to get it done. Hopefully what he remembers is the fun of doing it together!


We took his project to the Tooele Library to present it and as always Max had no fear.
As we waited to start we goofed off, taking pictures and playing Rock, Paper, Scissors.

~~~~~~~~~~

It is a regular occurrence for ever-present loyal friends in be placed in the window so they can "watch" the boys as they play outside and wait for their return.


Max has had his puppy "Sweetie" (originally named "Scruffy") since he was four months old.
Zane's has had his little blue elephant "Elly" since he was just a few months old.
Just last month Zane came across a puppy exactly like Max's (except not as well loved and worn) and was super excited to have a puppy just like his brothers. He named him "Stormtrooper."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Max attended the STEM engineering event where he used different materials to build houses that would stand up to the "big bad wolf" (a hair-dryer  and leaf blower.)


~~~~~~~~~~

I heard a Taylor Swift song on the radio and liked it so much that I decided to check out more of her music. I have heard a few of  her songs over the years but for some reason this caught my attention. I admit to having a bit of an obsession, not just with her music but with her as a person. As I listen to her music and watch music videos I am so impressed with the story her songs and videos tell with such creativity, feeling and vulnerability. But as I watched interviews, award speeches, and news clips I was also impressed with how giving, articulate and graceful under pressure she is. Despite her superstar status she still seems sweet and genuine.

And I had such a strange thought the other night. I was listening to her 1989 album as I blogged so she was on my mind as I knelt to pray. And suddenly it hit me that she is a child of God. I have always known logically that everyone is a child of God, but it was so surreal to suddenly realize it about this person whose life is so different from mine. And applying that realization to every person out there in the world.

~~~~~~~~~

These are some of the fun science activities we get to do for school.
Rock collecting and classifying; chocolate volcanoes,

and creating the layers of the earth.

No comments:

Background

Blog Archive

Labels

About Me

My photo
I love being a stay-at-home Mom. I have an amazing husband and an adorable little boy.