Monday, July 1, 2013

July: Young Women's

YW Secretary
I got a call for James and I to meet with the Bishop. James was just called as the Elder's Quorum Secretary so we figured it was a calling for me. A few nights before our meeting I was out riding my bike and ran into Tiffany (Parkin). We got talking and she told me that she had been called as the Young Women's President and asked if I would be her secretary. I was super excited. I loved being in Young Women's before and I enjoy working with her. I was glad to have the head's up (always am) and was excited to say yes.

The new presidency was called just two weeks before Girl's camp and there had been little planning done. The other two counselors (Erroly & Stacy) both had obligations so were unable to attend camp or Youth conference, which was scheduled the following week. So, Tiffany and I took over the majority of the planning. Along with Chantel, the camp leader, we spent hours meeting, emailing, talking on the phone, planning and preparing. The day finally came and we were off to camp.

Girl's Camp
I didn't know any of the girls, Chantelle the camp leader or Patrick from the bishoprick when we left for camp. By the end of the week I felt like I had built relationships with all of them. A very late night in a tent with Tiffany and Chantelle turned into a hilarious confessing and instant friendship forming night.
It was SO SO SO cold! Most of the girls had a miserable night and we had leaders bring up more bedding for the next night. We didn't have to worry about sunburns as much as staying warm.

Tiffany, Sarah, Heather, Kienna, Chantelle, Kaity, Emily, Sarah, Malerie, Abbie, Patrick

The Hike
We started out walking on the path, the on the road before we got to the mountains to hike.
Several of the girls asked if we were done when we were still on the road. It was about a mile hike and beautiful.


Crafts and Games
Chantelle had such cute things like the pillowcase and bag with the theme and fun craft activities like the rock and frames. The girls enjoyed joining with the entire stake to make the cute handkerchief bag and theme hanging. They went home with many fun and useful reminders of their week.

The Skit:
Tennis Shoes and Faith Among The Lamanites
Two girls are reading the story of Abish, one with reverence, one with boredom & sarcasm. They are transported to the scripture time and watch when Ammon tells the Queen that King Lamoni is alive. She believes him and he tells her she has great faith. King Lamoni, his Queen and Ammon are "overpowered by the spirit." The girls see Abish, who runs to gather the people to see the miracle. Abish trips because of a broken sandal. The girl lacking in faith gives Abish her tennis shoes and says that someday she hopes to have as much Faith. The Lamanites gather & begin to murmur. Abish takes the queens hand to raise her up. The Queen thanks Abish & then says, “I must have some of those foot coverings of curious workmanship.”

(Our skit was definitely the most fun and thought out.)

 Delivering Goodies to other Wards/Build Your Own Trail Mix

 The Stake had a fun picture taking setup.


Youth Conference
Just six days after returning from Girl's camp we headed out again for to the Manti Pageant for Youth Conference. We set up tents for yet another night of camping and then had a nice dinner at a nearby church. We found seats and settled in to wait for dark. I haven't been to the pageant in years and it was enjoyable despite how tired I was! The boys made quite the racket and Tiffany and I stayed up reading, "Edenbrook" out loud to each other until they quieted down around 2 am. Far to early the next morning we had an easy breakfast of muffins and cereal and headed to Seven Peaks Water Park. I had absolutely no interest in getting in the water but after walking and hauling lunch in the heat the water felt wonderful. It was tiring but fun to have another big event and spend time getting to know the girls.

Back row: Kienna, Lisa, Heather, Tiffany, Anna's cousin, Anna
Middle: Kaity, Emily, Abbie, Ashley
Front: Malerie, Me, Kennadi, Erin

1 comment:

Cami Sue said...

You are awesome to take on such a calling and responsibility with such short notice. I have a question: Did you like the Manti Pageant? We were thinking of that for our Youth Conference this year and some have said it is boring. I went to it a really long time ago but I didn't think "boring" was the impression I got.

Background

Blog Archive

Labels

About Me

My photo
I love being a stay-at-home Mom. I have an amazing husband and an adorable little boy.